Roll bar rationale

Collected wisdom of all...do spiders really roll over that often? I hear about
people installing roll bars and wonder if they are really that necessary
unless your going racing.

The roll bar permanently *ruins* the lines of my '72 Spider, primarily because of street threats, although it also qualifies to take the car out on AROO track days.

Seeing Bob Hui's GTV6 after a Camry T-boned it in the passenger door convinced me. He had just let his daughter off at day care; had she been aboard it would have been ugly. An Alfetta GT at Nasko's is further proof, same thing except the T-boner was an SUV, the driver's mother was aboard, and she was killed.

I figure I'm much more likely to be hit by some cell-phone-impaired moron on the street than to flip the car, but I don't want my passengers to join me without knowing I've been responsible about doing what I can to protect them. The roll bar is probably little protection against side impact, or a Suburban coming over the back, but it is something. The only alternative would be to give up driving the Spider, in our decreasingly attentive society. It is why I quit riding motorcycles after 35 years, but I'm not willing to give up the Alfa yet.

The roll bar, meager as it is, is what I can do.

YMWV,
Joe