Re: Re; More Virus (NAC)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:45:51 -0400 John Hertzman <johnhertzman@domain.elided> wrote:
> Beyond that, I'm
> deleting
> as quickly as I can anything that comes in past Norton with an attachment
> unless I know in advance from someone I know and trust that it is
> genuine.

be careful even then. the whole thing about the new wave viruses is that
they are gambling that they can fake you into thinking the message is
legit.

i'd not open an attachment w/o prior communication with the sender
indicating that it's going to be arriving. even then, you need to be
careful. back a couple of startups ago, we found that the sales & marketing
folks were busy emailing word documents back and forth to their buddies at
other companies, and the docs were full of word macro viruses. they trusted
their buddies, of course, but not a single #$$%@#$%$ one of them was
actually using a decent anti-virus product or paying any attention at all
to what they were doing. and when things went south, they started whining
at the IT guys about it.

richard