installing non-Alfa engines in old Alfa Spider pre-1962

Hi
Has  anyone  ever   thought  about,  or tried,  to intall   a  non-Alfa
Engine in an old  2 seater Alfa Spider....  circa    1958  - 1962

I   am  hoping  for  the  reliabalility   that  a  new  engine  would
offer,   not  speed....

I  am  serious  about  this  and   have  spent  a  long  time  wondering if
it  is  possible.....

I  would  greatly  appreciate serious     replies  to  this  message
and  would  also   appreciate a  responding  to  my   personal   email
at....

pennington@domain.elided

The  reason I  am asking  is  that  in 1967   I  owned  a  1958   Spider
that  never  ran.... and  sold  it  in  1968.   I have  regretted  selling
it  all these  years.....

Yours  truly,  Richard Pennington