Water Pump Rookie

In a message dated 9/29/2002 10:33:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:43:47 -0500
> From: Tony Martie <tony@domain.elided>
> Subject: Water Pump Rookie
>
>   I have a sudden nasty grinding/squeaking sound coming from the front
> end of my engine that I suspect is the water pump bearings (at least I
> hope it's only a water pump!).  No external flood of coolant yet
> however, wouldn't that be the most common sign of a water pump gone bad?
>   Since I have never had to replace an Alfa water pump before, and
> cannot even really see much of it, I was wondering if someone could
> tell me whether or not the one I found on ebay is for a Spider.
>
> Here is the sellers description:
> On the box under the bar code the numbers are: 60624553. on the water
> pump itself the numbers are: R2948, B 01.
>
> Here is the link (with photo):
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1862933197
>
> On the other hand, maybe I really only suspect the water pump because I
> have had the car for eight years without ever having to touch it.  And
> I live in Dallas, where the coolant stays very hot.
> It's getting me downright antsy... fail already!
>
> did I just type that!?
>
> Tony Martie
> 78 Spider

       I do not know what that water pump fits, but it is not like any Alfa
Romeo water pump I have seen.  I wonder if it even came in the Alfa box it
sits on.  Anyone know what that is?  1900 or iron block 2000 / 2600 maybe?
Late twin spark?
       Get a stethoscope or a long screw driver,  that will help isolate the
noise by transferring the vibration to your ear.
       I think EVERY water pump failure I have experienced involves water
leakage.  There is a weep hole on the underside of the four cylinder water
pump.  Get a mirror and look at it.  You may have to pressure up the cooling
system to make it leak.
       The other failure mode of a water pump is shucked bearings.  If you
can wiggle the fan, the bearings are shot.
        If it is not leaking and there is no detectable wobble in the
bearings, I would say to look for a different problem.  Alternator bearings,
maybe?  Put the screwdriver on the alternator and see what it sounds like.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City