disaster strikes FrankenSpider

I'm hoping others here in the SF Bay Area will benefit from this information:

A mile or so south of the Page Mill Road southbound entrance to Interstate 280, there is an underpass going under the freeway. The structure of the underpass is concrete and the asphalt abutting it on the freeway has sagged dangerously, particularly in Lane #3 (counted from the right). Stay in the far right or the far left lane if you are not already aware of this problem and don't know the area well.

... I was driving to my office from a breakfast meeting in Palo Alto on Thursday using this route, certainly not the normal time of day or usual route for my commute drive. Heavy traffic locked me into the #3 lane ... By the time I saw the condition of the roadway, there was nothing I could do. FrankenSpider's front suspension compressed as it dropped into the sagged pavement's trench across the lane, the engine guard and sump struck the edge of the concrete underpass structure very hard and broke apart. Oil flew everywhere ... it hit hard enough that the transmission bounced out of gear and the back of the sump is hanging down with a half inch gap, the *steel* engine guard is broken into pieces. Oil hitting the exhaust raised huge cloud of smoke. I turned the engine off as fast as I could reach the ignition switch, I don't think the oil pressure gauge had dropped yet, and coasted to the right shoulder as quickly as I could, leaving an 18" wide swath of oil on the roadway across the lanes.

This is fully the fault of negligent road maintenance ... the roadway is dangerously sagged at this juncture and the marks of many cars scraping their undercarriage on the concrete edge are easily visible. Owners of other cars with higher undercarriage clearance have told me they avoid the middle lanes because their cars bounce all over the roadway. FrankenSpider's sump is at stock 1972 Spider ride height and can pass a 4.5" obstruction, but the combination of a high edge and the suspension-compressing dip in the road just before it makes it into a high step in the middle of a 65-75mph roadway. I'm going back with my digital camera to photograph the roadway and file a complaint with CalTrans and the local municipality, hopefully will get some compensation for the damage.

Larry and I evaluated the damage last evening. Upper and lower sump, engine guard, fan shroud and LH motor mount are all junk. There's a small amount of (hopefully) repairable damage to the radiator. Very luckily, engine and radiator did not dent the hood so there's no bodywork to do. Larry will inspect the oil pump and drive when he pulls the sump apart... Parts are on order now, will be here in a week. It's going to cost around $800 to fix, and FrankenSpider will miss All Italian Day...

Very very aggravating... :o(

Godfrey