Re: Milano Rebuild (Suspension)

Raymond, et.al,
I, not so long ago rebuilt the suspension on my GTV 6, and would definatly
recommend it.  Barring other problems with a vehicle, it will tighten things up
and make it feel like a new car - more specifically, make it drive the way it
was designed.  So then on to your concerns:

1.  The deDion bushing is a pain. I wouldn't mess with trying to do this without
removing the unit from the vehicle.  I needed to press the old unit out, but the
new one went in with just a little persuation.  Hint, the old unit is staked in.
Grind off the stakes, then press the old bushing out in the direction of the
stakes.  The previous seems obvious, but in the heat of battle I spent about 15
minutes battling in the wrong direction - duh.  BTW, I replaced mine with the
stainless spherical bearing so a different type may provide a different
experience.

2.  Brakes and front wheel bearings are a piece of cake.  Pretty much unbolt the
old, bolt in the new.  Read your manual about setting wheel bearing nut - it
seems not tight enough but it is, and use a new cotter pin.  Oh yeah, and
Castrol is good stuff!

3.  Castor bushings are a must do.  This is also a simple job.  If you don't do
anything else do this.  Don't be afraid to unbolt stuff to get the front
suspension loose.  For example, torson bars, sway bar, lower A arm, and the
castor rod of course.  Sounds like a lot but it's all just nuts and bolts
assembly - gives you an opportunity to better appreciate Alfa engineering.  Once
things are loosened up you should be able to slide the old bushings off and
slide on the new ones.  You'll need a front end alignment after doing this job.

4.  New shocks were mentioned.  Unless you're old ones are suspect, this might
be a fair chunk of change for small benefit.  The stock Alfa shocks are quite
good - and need I say engineered for the car, and last a long time.  If you
figure that a new set of shocks, say Bilstiens, will set you back close to $500
USD, that's more (lots more) than all your bushings, bearings, brake pads, and
rotors will cost.  What I did was kept my shocks and spent a little more on
slotted brake rotors, stainless brake lines, and additional poly bushings.  But
I'm sure there would be some benefit to new shocks.

Good Luck
-Ray
'84 GTV 6
San Diego