What to do when (sigh) J-B Weld lets you down

This is a first.

Situation: Installing a single JBL Control 1 speaker to the inside
firewall of a 101 Spider. While not terribly sophisticated, decided
since its tucked up and under, two J-B Welded T-brackets (wood type)
should work fine, leaving only one hole per side sticking our to be
sheet metal screwed into firewall. Got that?

The speaker needed a little refurbishing so freshened it up with SEM
black flexible Color Coat. This coating is made primarily for plastic /
vinyl. Since the case is made of (???) some sort of plastic, seemed a
logical choice. However, in places it bubbled as if spraying lacquer
onto an enamel surface. Sort of got that fixed, roughed up areas on the
back where the T-brackets will go and affixed with J-B Weld. Waited
overnight and installed. Next morning one side was hanging down. Removed
and assumed I hadn't removed enough of the exterior coating. Rough
sanded to a fair thee well with 40 grit, J-B Welded and  installed the
next day. Following day other side was down. Same story. Today one side
is down and assume the other side is just barely hanging in there.

You guys have sent me to 'stick this to that' (or something like it),
but what am I trying to stick the steel T-brackets to? Anyone have a
clue what 'material' JBL would use? I doubt if it would take a sheet
metal screw + I'm hesitant drilling into the case, not knowing what I
might hit on the other side since the case is sealed. I have the feeling
a sheet metal screw would only crumble whatever stuff this is made of.

Yes, yes everything was prepped very, very carefully and I mix the epoxy
very, very well.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

JBL does not list the Control 1 speaker on their site. It's a very nice
speaker...other than its unknown chemical make up.