another engine removal question

Esteemed Digesti,
The digest has stepped-up with work-arounds for my timing cover gasket
coolant leak, (thanks, Jim) but it looks like the 1750 will be hung from a
hoist in the very near future. Does it make any sense to consider removing
the head with carbs and exhaust manifold attached, while the engine is still
in the car, then hoist the shortblock and tranny? I'll need to clean-up the
head for replacement, but there might be little reason to remove the
induction or exhaust. What does the Digest think of gaining a purchase on two
head bolts by way of a plate to span?  There may be a risk in bending them.
Has anyone suffered this repair of an otherwise healthy four-banger? A little
sympathy would go along way, folks: misery loves company.

Modelle in Somers Point