Re: More Italian tune-up questions

You should have all the oil(s) to operating temperature, from engine
to gearbox, etc.

My car happens to have an oil pressure gauge.  When it will idle
at about ~40psi, I know the oil is up to operating temperature. By
then the gearbox, etc., assuming you have been driving the car to
warm it up (which you should certainly do!) will be fine as well.

With no gauges, sensors, etc.:  I think Luca once estimated around
20km, keeping the engine sub 2k.  Being kind to the gearbox during
that time is always a plus as well (throttle blips and other niceties).
Granted both Luca and I have turbo-engined cars which do like that
extra bit of care before its BOV time...

I feel like I'm describing a recipe... ;]
take care,
Ryan
ps. don't go by water temperature.

<<Thanks again to all those who have responded to my
Italian tune-up question. I'm having fun driving the
car a little harder than has been my habit in the
past. Just washed her. Looks so nice....

One question. Sorry if this is really dumb. Several
people have pointed out the importance of being sure
things are warmed up before giving the car a work out.
Understood. That much sense I have, but people have
mentioned being sure the oil is well warmed up,
presumably the engine oil, but someone also mentioned
rear axle lubrication. Here's my question. How do you
know the OIL is warmed up--and in the rear end? Do you
guys have sensors my car doesn't have? Sorry, but mine
gives me a reading for water temperature only--I
assume that means the stuff in the radiator. I always
wait until the water temp. reading is up to its usual
high of 190 degrees (where it sits very happily even
when its over 100 degrees outside), but how do I know
about the temperature of anything else? I have been
assuming that when the car is up to this normal temp.
it's OK to give her a run. Enlighten me, please.>>