Re: 1750 differential

Anybody who knows better please correct me.

My understanding of the Alfa LSD is that it is a clutch type. The only one of those I have ever touched worked like this... There are little clutch disks that sit between the side gears and the differential carrier. On the diff carrier side though there are little "pressure plates" that touch the clutch packs on one side, and have little ramps on the other side. The little ramps on the "pressure plates" meet ramps on the diff carrier. So what all this means is when you step on the gas and a wheel is slipping the difference in speed causes the ramps to put pressure on the clutches locking up the differential.

The diff should then have this behavior:

coasting, (and spinning a wheel up on jacks) the diff should be relatively free.

driving up a gravel driveway and punching it in second gear or anything of the sort: diff "locks" up and both wheels spin evenly

At least that is how mine acts.

Steve
'74 Spider
'64 Spider