From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Steve An
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 6:55 AM
To: Richard Welty; alfa@domain.elided
Subject: Re[2]: That '70s thing

My old 68 Duetto had Solex carb, euro tear drop markers, gauges in Italian
(olio, benzina, aqua etc..) pretty cool. It was brought back by a Navy guy,
who sold it to me. I had all the shipping papers etc... the car is in the
prettiest shade of Italian Duco Verde, anyone would be green with envy :-)

On the subject on gray market importation, I brought back an 86 911 and had
it converted in 1987, it cost me around $5K then, before everything got
difficult. On the similar note regarding OBD2, I have a friend who tried to
bring in his 97 McLaren F1 and couldn't because of OBD2 (Dick Fritz in CT
and some outfit from Texas both tried), he ended up buying an 94 (prior to
OBD2) and brought it in, the conversion costs some where north of $90K. He
still has the 97 in Woking with zero miles on the odometer, so those of you
who think OBD2 compliance is trivial or know something Fritz doesn't,
please contact me offline so I can pass long the info.

Ask me about this test drive sometime :-) 650+ horses, 2200 lbs and a good
stereo in a far more civilized environment than any Ferrari; note: I didn't
say better, the exhaust note is somewhat uninspiring, especially to us
Milano owners.

          S.