RE: Re[2]: That '70s thing

<snip>
> On the subject on gray market importation, I brought back an 86 911
and had
> it converted in 1987, it cost me around $5K then, before everything
got
> difficult. On the similar note regarding OBD2, I have a friend who
tried to
> bring in his 97 McLaren F1 and couldn't because of OBD2 (Dick Fritz in
CT
> and some outfit from Texas both tried), he ended up buying an 94
(prior to
> OBD2) and brought it in, the conversion costs some where north of
$90K. He
> still has the 97 in Woking with zero miles on the odometer, so those
of you
> who think OBD2 compliance is trivial or know something Fritz doesn't,
> please contact me offline so I can pass long the info.
<snip>

Is OBD used for anything other than diagnostics?  I.e., is it used
during emissions testing, or whatever?

If not, then I don't understand why it should matter to the feds.  The
purpose of OBD is to make it easier and more consistent to diagnose
problems on my vehicle, and this reduce the cost to me, the owner.  If
I'm willing to accept that my vehicle might have higher
diagnostic/repair costs, then why should the feds prevent me from buying
that vehicle?

bs