Battery issues in a '76 Spider

In a message dated Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:28:52 +0000, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:51:06 +0000
> From: jason.glover@domain.elided
> Subject: Battery issues in a '76 Spider
>
> First, as most of you know the battery in a late 70's
> Spider is mounted in the trunk. Since I am not the first,
> or even the second owner of my car, the actual mounting
> hardware is a mystery to me. Could anyone describe or send
> me a picture of what it's supposed to look like. Right now
> I'm relying on a funky bracket I made and some bungee
> cords.
<snip>
> Jason Glover
> '76 Spider
> Bellingham, WA

     Bungee cords are an absolute no no in my book for attaching a battery.  Bungee cords stretch and can allow the positive post of the battery to contact sheet metal.  If the positive post is not heavily insulated, you will have a real problem.
     Anything that will not stretch is better.  It would be best if that which does not stretch would also not melt immediately upon contact with battery acid fumes.  That means, no old seat belts or web straps either.
     Bailing wire <cringe> or anything metal is a better alternative.  Or go to the autoparts store and buy a battery hold down that you can adapt.
     The simple angle iron with a couple of threaded rods used by Alfa works really well.  Or it does until the sheet metal ends where the threaded rods hook rust / corrode away.
     On my street racer 82 spider and on my 84 race car, I have had problems with the sheet metal trunk bracket stress cracking.  The cracks were in the back where the sheet metal mount is welded to the trunk.  I guess the battery mount was not intended to hold the battery under extreme cornering conditions.  I have welded both, but the race car is coming loose again.  The battery will probably get a new mount in the spare tire well.  The mount will probably be made of angle iron welded together and bolted to the floor with large fender washers on the underside.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City