Re: early Audis and safety

My daughter had an 85 Audi 4000 for many years and put well over 150K on it
with never a problem. Until some lady went over a stop sign at high speed and
hit her broadside in the center pillar. The impact pushed the car across the
street, over a high sidewalk curb, up and over a high stone wall and into
someone's hillside garden. My daughter owes her life to the solidity of that
car. She was able to get out of it through the open sunroof and was
essentially unhurt. The car was rebuilt and ran fine for another three years.
Could that have happened with an 85 Alfa or even any subsequent ones until
the 164 came out ? The lack of solidity of a 156 or a 147 would play a big
factor in my ever buying one, if they were available here. Having sat in both
of them, their lack of side impact safety bothered me.
Graham Arlen