RE: Rebuilding calipers

From: jason.glover@domain.elided
Subject: To Rebuild Calipers or Not...?

........ Is rebuilding the calipers myself worth the
exposure to solvents and possibility of future brake
failure? How tough is it?..........

Jason, to answer your question, this was my own experience:

1984 Spider, ATE rear calipers.  I separated my caliper halves, and discovered
cracked rubber seals and frozen pistons (my car sat for quite awhile also).  A
local, excellent Alfa mechanic, (thanks Stephen) suggested that I push out the
pistons with grease.  I did that once, and it worked like a charm, but I
learned from that experience and used air on the second caliper set....

Now, THAT'S a Digest post!

Bravo to Jason, and to Brian for the follow up.. concice, descriptive, informative..
and something I want to go thru soon on the new 77 Spider, so for me.. timely as well!

Jon
77 Spider (about to commit to pulling the engine and doing a full rebuild)