RE: Auto woodworking book

I recently restored the wood on my 73 BMW CS.  There are 7 pieces of
wood with veneer on them, including three dash pieces which are fairly
complex curves.

I was intimidated at first and had little in the way of instruction or
resources at my disposal.  I stripped the old veneer off with a razor
blade, prepped the substrate (plywood) and laminated new Zebrano
(zebrawood veneer) on with contact cement.  To finish the wood I used
CarverTripp Clear Polyurethane Satin.  I put on about 15 coats,
wetsanding with progressively higher-grit sandpaper in between.
Finally, I used a progression of automotive waxes for a final finish.

I've gotten lots of positive feedback and comments at both shows the car
has been at, but more importantly I am happy with the job I did.

There are pictures of it in The Coupe Chronicles section of my website
if you're interested.  The total materials cost was less than $100.  I
bought the veneer at a local hi-quality lumber/wood store called
"Southern Lumber" here in the valley.

Regards,
TJ

TJ Noto		AFM #134  	Cowpoke Racing-"Friends in Slow Places"
http://www.cowpokeracing.com
95 Ducati 916 Strada
96 Ducati Monster 900 (Chela's)
61 Ducati Falcone 80
70 Norton Commando Fastback
73 BMW 3.0 CS ("deviated from museum reliquary standard"-Perez)
97 BMW Z3 (Chela's)
77 Mercedes 280C (Mimosa)
00 Ford F150 Supercab
87 Suzuki RG250 (For Sale!)

Of
> Giller,Bruce C.
> Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:42 AM
> To: alfa-digest; gtv-talk
> Subject: Auto woodworking book
>
> 	In the most recent edition of Fine Woodworking, there is a
review of
> book on auto woodworking, "Automotive Woodworking: Restoration, Repair
> and Replacement" by Roland Johnson (160pp, MBI Publishing) for $25..
It