Re[2]: Off-topic threads and the alfa list generally

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:34:03 -0500 Ted Spradley <tsprad@domain.elided> wrote:
> Let me add that the archives of the list are on the Web and are
> searchable.

well, some are searchable. making all the archives since the beginning of
the list searchable is on the agenda, but i have other priorities right
now, like earning a living.

>  Answers sent privately are not.  It's particularly annoying
> to find in the archives exactly the same question that I want to ask,
> but the answers are not in the archive.

there is a traditional way of handling this, which i commend to all the
readers of the list.

post your question, and offer to collect all off list responses and
sumamrize to the list. follow up by actually summarizing to the list.

> If the same few questions are being asked repeatedly, then we'll have to
> prepare an FAQ, but again, a list of Frequently Asked Questions is
> useless without the answers.  The people preparing the FAQ need to be
> able to refer to the archives for the answers.

a reminder: i'm always willing to host FAQs on digest.net

richard