Re: Off-topic threads and the alfa list generally

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:49:21 -0400
"Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided> wrote:

> First, as to why I sometimes only answer off-line, sometimes I'm not
> 100% sure of an answer, or too lazy to do the proper research, and
> might not want to embarrass myself in front of a large group (which
> still happens from time to time).  There are some on this list who
> will flame for incomplete answers, or partial attempts at answers, or
> information which some may find useful but wasn't specifically asked
> for.  I know, I've been flamed for all of the above, even though I'd
> like to think I'm only trying to help.  So sometimes I'm more
> comfortable going off-line with a response or an attempt to help.

Now *that* is really a bad thing.  I say a partial or even inaccurate
answer is certainly better than no answer at all, if it's presented as a
"best guess" and not as gospel.  I would hope that the ensuing
discussion would lead to enlightenment, not to flames or embarrassment,
at least in the case of technical questions as opposed to political
opinions.

> As a side note, I find it inappropriate for off-line discussions to
> find their way on-line, especially if all parties haven't been
> consulted first.

Absolutely.

> Now, as a person who tries to answer questions when I'm able, here's
> one of *my* pet peeves.  It's really difficult to diagnose stuff
> through e-mail.  Consider that if you have the vehicle in question
> right in front of you, and you can't figure it out, then it's at least
> equally difficult to diagnose it over an email system.

Yeah, I've seen lots of cases on other lists where someone presents a
difficult problem, several other people make suggestions, but then
there's no follow-up to let the rest of us know *which* (if any) of the
suggestions worked.

I suppose the ideal case is for the original poster to summarize the
best answers received, both on and off the list, and post the final
outcome to the list, for the archives.  But then that approaches moving
off-line discussions on line.