Re: Off-topic threads and the alfa list generally

>> First, as to why I sometimes only answer off-line, sometimes I'm not
>> 100% sure of an answer, or too lazy to do the proper research, and
>> might not want to embarrass myself in front of a large group (which
>> still happens from time to time).  There are some on this list who
>> will flame for incomplete answers, or partial attempts at answers, or
>> information which some may find useful but wasn't specifically asked
>> for.  I know, I've been flamed for all of the above, even though I'd
>> like to think I'm only trying to help.  So sometimes I'm more
>> comfortable going off-line with a response or an attempt to help.

>Now *that* is really a bad thing.  I say a partial or even inaccurate
>answer is certainly better than no answer at all, if it's presented as a
>"best guess" and not as gospel.  I would hope that the ensuing
>discussion would lead to enlightenment, not to flames or embarrassment,
>at least in the case of technical questions as opposed to political
>opinions.

Brian's experience mirrors mine.  Helping someone solve a problem via e-mail
is a process of trail and error, but apparently that's not acceptable to some
on the digest -- if you don't know the exact, correct, complete answer, you
should just keep quiet, even if no one else appears to be trying to help the
person.  I've been scolded publicly and off-digest for posting advice that
might have been incomplete, incorrect, or even just at odds with the scolder's
POV, even when I indicated in my post that I might be wrong.  Now I usually
only send advice off-digest unless it's obviously tongue in cheek or I'm dead
certain I'm right.  Inevitably if I break this rule I'll get some response
that's smart ass or just someone fluffing their own feathers at my expense.
At least I've never been flamed by someone I'm trying to help, even if I was
wrong.

Tony