'79 Alfetta Sedan Project - Drive line "clunk"

     If the transmission mount is separated, the bellhousing can come up and contact the floor of the car on every shift.  The transmission mount is flat metal attached to the bellhousing and sandwiched in rubber on the other end.  I once had the "bright" idea to just drill a hole through the whole thing to keep the metal within the sandwich.  The vibration was so bad, that new mounts were rapidly ordered.
     You should be able to test the motor mount with a jack under the bellhousing.  You can see the transmission mount separate.  You can also replace it the same way.  Two bolts (Allen head, I seem to recall) hold the mount to the cross member and two hold it to the bellhousing.  The driveshaft does not have to come out and you do not even have to drop the crossmember.  But I could be wrong.  I have not messed with an Alfetta in a year or more.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City