The upshot of all this nonsense is that many European car manufacturers have decided that the number of sales that they would have in the USA are simply not worth the trouble and expense to build cars to meet these often arbitrary, and wholly unnecessary specific US safety laws. For this reason, companies like Fiat (Fiat, Lancia, and Alfa Romeo), Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, MG, TVR, Morgan and a number of other European makes have chosen not to sell their cars in North America any more. And other companies, such as VW, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes do not sell their entire line of cars here. For instance, BMW and Audi don't sell their low-end hatch-backs (like the Audi A3) here, neither does VW sell their Polo in the USA. Some European car companies make strange assumptions about the US market. VW, for instance won't sell an AWD GTI here. We are sold "4-Motion" in the Passat, but can't get a 4-motion Passat with a manual transmission- automatics only! Speaking of Automatics. Jaguar recently introduced a really hot version of their S-type. Over 400 horsepower, and in the USA, its only offered with what automotive journalists are calling a completely inadequate automatic transmission. In Europe this car can be had with a six-speed manual.

So, like I've said before, our bureaucrats have put the United States behind an "Automotive Iron Curtain" and we're likely to stay there.

George Graves

On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 05:35 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:09:20 +0200
From: Luca <nodoubt@domain.elided>
Subject: US Safety regulations

Please enlighten myself.

What's up w/ all these craps about US safety regulations?

I mean, what does US govt really want for making a car street worth?
Aren't mercedes, saab and bmw sold over there? They are sold also
here in EU, and they are quite common. So which are the difference
between a us registered SAAB 9-5 and a EU version??? Or which are
the difference between a Mercedes spider here and there? Or a serie
3, 5 or 7 BMW there and here?
I suppose the cars are basically the same. Differences must be about
lights, parking lights, daytime lights, turn signal colors or things
like that. Aren't they??

I would like to know. Thanx
Luca

nodoubt,
"With dreams to be a king first one should be a man" Joey DeMaio
937, 75 Turbo, RM250

http://nvr2fst.supereva.it