Winter tires

For performance winter driving get Pirellis, or Nokian NRW.

For out and out winter driving, deep snow, slush, ice, cold snow, cold ice, and especially glare ice, get Nokian Hakka Q.

Blizzaks are just an OK tire for winter. the originals were a real confidence trick as only the top "half" of the tread was ice rubber, the remainder was generic all season crapola. A tire designed for one winter of great ice grip, so so snow and slush grip, followed by a summer of so so all season driving, and a following winter of VERY mediocre all season driving, before you caught on and bought real winter tires for winter and real summer tires for summer. Now Blizzaks come in several flavours but really offer nothing useful. Hakkas on the other hand give you the feeling you could drive up a frozen waterfall if you could just g\find a route.

For real world winter driving i e bare roads and cold weather with occasional hairy moments in deep snow and on ice, Pirellis just can't be beat. They work really well as a snow and ice tire but handle virtually as for a summer tire on cold bare pavement. Just take them off when the weather warms up otherwise they appear to melt away like winter ice.

This from another Rockies driver, also a survivor of "prairie" winter driving. Remember the original square tread Continental Contacts, well I bought a set. Phenomenal for the time. Since then I've used everything from Michelin through Nokian (formerly Nokia) Gislaved, Pirelli, to a set of bloody awful Toyos on my current Aero.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L