Re: V6 cam belt tensioner

Ben Ament wrote:
Are these mechanical tensioners junk?
There seem to be two kinds of mechanical tensioners... ones that have failed, and ones that haven't failed, yet.

I had one fail, luckily causing no other damage. My friend had two tensioners fail on him in less than 1k miles, on both occasions causing valve damage.

I threw in the towel and went with a Tom Zat Staybelt tensioner. Problem is that you need a hydrualic tensioner to canabalize. I didn't have one, but I have enough of a machine shop to improvise the parts I needed. I have a few thousand miles on mine with no problems. If you have a hyrualic tensioner you can always use it as a static tensioner if the oil feed is plugged.

For more on this topic check the gtv6.org forum:
http://www.gtv6.org/discus/messages/200/10.html?TuesdayAugust2020020630am

--Mark