V6 cam belt tensioner

Okay, okay, I give, uncle, even!!

My three other V6's have the original, oil fed tensioner (detensioner), and
except for leaks they have been trouble free. Now I get this new one with
the IAP mechanical tensioner and a bent valve. I replace the valve, treat it
to a valve job (with 44k on the clock it really was not needed), and start
it up. Ran great for the first couple of warm ups. Third times a charm?

Nope. I started it up to warm it after retorquing the head and double
checking valve adjustment, intending to set the timing and fine tune the
idle. I had to shut it down before even changing a thing. That's when it
happened. It dieseled briefly. One stroke. That's all. Two bent valves on
the passenger side head (the one I had just completely gone through.

Are these mechanical tensioners junk? Is there another tensioner that I can
replace the IAP unit with? I wish that I could go back to the leaky old
tensioner, but once the mods have been made there is no turning back. Or is
there? Help!!!!

Ben