RE: 95 MPH @ 5800 RPM

Richard McCarty wrote :

>>95 @ 5800RPM in 5th sounds about right.

redline at 95 in 5th with a street car seems absurdly low,
if he's running stock sized wheels with proper size tires.
195/60-14 tires are only marginally smaller in diameter
than stock.    this speed at redline sounds more like what
4th should be.  even with a 1600 rear axle, this sounds
too low.

Jason,
if everything is right with the car mechanically, it sounds
like the tach is reading low.  have it checked out.
but do not go over 95 mph in the mean time - just in case.

my '73 redlines in 5th at about 115 -125 mph ( i don't
trust the accuracy of my speedo to within more than 5 - 10
mph at these speeds).  my gearing is stock.  if the rear
end of  your '76 spider is stock, it should have the same
ratio as my car.

what wheels and tires are you running ?  if the previous
owner set it up like a '80s lowered minitruck, then maybe
your tach IS reading right :-)

are you sure you're not blasting down the freeway at 115 mph,
thinking you're only doing 95 ?  that would be a hoot.

-dion fields
-EDGE disegno industriale
-73 GTV
-southern california