re: Smith-Sedon Showdown, Of Corvettes, Alfas. Etc.

hey, jay, (& bill & brian & mark, & all y'all other middle-aged men!),

le'see... before i put the pantera on the track, i humbly suggest it prolly needs ~$10-12k worth of stuff - wheels, brakes, suspension...  that should *also* cover that 460-475hp motor, tho...  no, a stock 30 year old pantera won't hold a candle to a c5 corwette.  not so sure about the 164 tho - mite be a close call...  ;~)  but, w/a not-too-painful infusion of cash, the pantera's can be plenty competitive...  and, if/when i can ever scrape up the cash to sort out my pantera the way i *really* want it, i will still have invested quite a bit less than the cost of entry for a new c5.  and, while i may not make any money on my investment, i won't *lose* any, either.  panteras are depreciation-free.

and another point - i bought my pantera for fun on the street.  it's my gtwe6 that's been on the track a couple times, certainly not nearly enuff, and if i could afford fixing the pantera, *and* unlimited track time, i tink i'd still wanna have the gtwe6 as the track car...

on another tangent, mark hits the nail on the head - hot cars are best for picking up teenagers of all sexes, little boys, & middle-aged men!  ;~)  as my marriage/sex-life/etc, is awreddy well-sorted-out, none of these issues played a part in my purchase decision...  *i'm* not too old to have a happy childhood, & i yust wanted a pantera cuz it's fun!  :>)

one last ting about the latest c5 corwette.  if yure not as hung-up about the gm-thing as i am, by all means run, don't walk to yer nearest chebbie dealer & nab one - there is absolutely nothing awailable new that will touch its all-around performance at anywhere near its asking price...

regards to all,

doug s.