RE: 95 MPH @ 5800 RPM

Colin:
Sounds to me like you've under-revving (short shifting). My 72 GTV likes it
best above 3500rpm or so. It sounds GREAT - especially at those occasional
7Krpm shifts. If your car sounds bad above 4K have somebody look at it or
buy a V8 which really does sound terrible above 4K. You can do long-term
damage to your Alfa by not driving it hard enough - sounds odd, but
mollycoddling the motor might cause it to need a rebuild sooner than later.
Also, I found that the GTV shifts nicer at higher revs - just like butter
when you really get on it.

The GTV seems to have different gearing than others. 95 @ 5800RPM in 5th
sounds about right. At Lime Rock I only need 4th and 5th gears, only up
shifting / down shifting at the entrance and exit from the main straight.
Its been suggested to me that tire size could make the difference, but with
14" wheels and 195/65 (? don't remember exactly) the tires aren't that much
different from stock.

Peace,
Rich M
72 GTV