147 is closest thing to WRC car?

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:22:32 -0700
> From: George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Alfa's return to the usa...
>
>.... I honestly believe that 2.0 147 with
> Selespeed is the closest thing a mortal can own to an out-and-out World
> Rally Car.

From what I've read, the 147 is certainly an exceptional car - well
balanced, quick, and agile - and I'd love to have one as a daily driver.
But comparing it to a WRC car?  Uhmm...I dunno...

For starters:
- short about 200 hp;
- no awd; and
- no liquid cooled brakes.

Cars like the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi Evo 7 are much more similar to
WRC cars (both have turbocharged 4 cyl engines, AWD, big brakes, etc.).  The
upcoming 147 GTA will be a real road burner (thanks to the 250 hp drivetrain
borrowed from the 156 GTA), but even then, it will still likely be
outperformed by the Subaru and Mitsu.

Again, not to say that the 147 isn't a great car, but let's be realistic.

Cheers,
Greg Stewart
Ottawa, Canada
74 GTV