Re: Alfa's return to the usa...

Well, I know EXACTLY what Luca means. Its true that modern Porsches are stunning performers, but most of them have been "civilized" to the point where all of the driving fun has been engineered out of them. However. I did not find this to be true of the late model Alfas I've driven. For instance, the 147 has just TWO turns lock-to-lock for the steering, and it responds to steering input instantaneously. Turning off the stability control system returns the control of the car to the driver, and the F1 style push-button shift mechanism (a real electro-hydraulic MANUAL gearbox, not a warmed over slush bucket that lets one change gears manually. This car has an actual clutch plate!) allows one to really dive into corners deeply before shifting, and the shifts are precise. With just a bit of practice, you can anticipate the apex of a turn, shift at the right moment sure of exactly where the car will be when the next lower cog comes into play. This makes for god-like cornering control. I honestly believe that 2.0 147 with Selespeed is the closest thing a mortal can own to an out-and-out World Rally Car. Also, you can feel every undulation in the road through the excellent power steering and, surprising for a modern car, you can actually feel the road through the seat too. A real seat-of-the-pants driving experience, just like my GTV-6 (only the 147 handles better). Of course, you have to adjust your technique for FWD, but once mastered, the car is a blast. Imagine a car with that much driving 'simpatico' that is so close in build quality and reliability to a Japanese car, that it can be used as a daily driver. I'll guarantee, if we Americans could buy them and if you owned one you wouldn't even be able to go to the grocery store for a quart of milk without getting a grin on your face from ear-to-ear!

That 'something missing' that you talk about that the Milano has and the Porsche doesn't is that almost indefinable something that makes fanatics out of Italian car owners. Its part and parcel of Italian cars. The old Fiat 500 had it as did every Ferrari and Maserati that ever left Modena. Lancias have it, Lamborghinis have it. If Alfa ever engineered it out of their cars, they wouldn't be either Italian or Alfa Romeos any more. Alfa knows this, but that eventually it will be engineered out is my greatest fear when I think of General Motors getting their spoons in the pot. I mean, is ANYTHING deader-feeling than a GM car?

George Graves

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 02:04 PM, dsedon@domain.elided wrote:

hi george,

i won't argue, as i haven't had the pleasure.... but, as luca mentioned earlier, tho his buddy's awd porsche certainly outperformed his 75 turbo in every way, there was still something missing in the p-car that the 75 has in spades. and, for the money of a new alfa? sorry, i'll take a hotted up gtwe6, an early gtv, a milano, & a 164, to use when the roads are too salty! :>)

regrds,

doug s.
=========

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:28:33 -0700
From: George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Alfa's return to the usa...

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have driven a 147, a diesel 156, and a V-6
156 extensively in Europe and I can attest to the fact that in spite of
these cars being "wrong-wheel-drive" they are VERY MUCH drivers cars.
The 147 I had last fall outperformed my GTV-6 IN EVERY WAY. The 156s I
drove in Italy 2 years ago out-handled any Bertie I've ever driven with
the possible exception of a race-prepared GTA. These cars are quick,
the 156s are fast (even the diesel will cruise all day at 120 MPH+)

George Graves