   Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:08:10 -0400
   From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
   Subject: Re: New ones....

   dsedon@domain.elided wrote:
   > sure, the wolwo is that much.  which is why i'd *never*
   > spend that kinda money [$40k] on *any* new car.

   Yeah every time I catch myself thinking about purchasing a new car
   (generally after a particularly vexing day of working on one of my cars)
   I eventually reach the conclusion that $40k buys me:

   a) a "nice" new car.  Which will require me to use the dealer for
   service, will have a brutal depreciation schedule, will be expensive to
   insure (my current cars do not warrant collision coverage), and will
   give me stress every time it's out of my sight.

   b) A "cheap" used Ferrari (two of my favorite cars are the 308s and the
   Ferrari/Fiat/Dino 246s) or a Pantera with a few years of gas to go with
   it.   In other words, cars I'd love to own.  Plus insurance costs and
   stress.

   c) between 5-20 more "cheap" Alfas

   d) One year (at least) earlier retirement date and just one more cheap Alfa.

   Option "d" wins every time (with "c" being a close second.)

      --Mark