RE: "Stinking Spider" (Hot Gear Oil Smell)...

To make it UN-unanimous once again:

I was running Redline MT-90 in the tranny until I got tired of the mess from
its leaking. Found Shell Spirax HD 80W-90 for $2.58/qt. at an oil dealer on
the docks where the fishing boats go for repairs. So, out with the new and in
with the old, the shifting does feel noticeably smoother, easier really, but
now I do get a whiff of that certain gear oil "skunk" smell once in a while.

In summary: I prefer the shifting with the Spirax-- feels like it rolled back
the tranny odometer about 60,000 miles. And at about 1/3 the price, altho as
a long-time Alfa driver I can say (because talk is cheap), "Money is no
object." Except for the $10 extra I had to spend repairing the flat tire
after picking up THREE large nails from driving around those docks looking
for the place. I can live with the skunk smell-- seems like it is gradually
going away. Either that, or I am building up a tolerance to it. Well, at
least none of my passengers are complaining!

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce 1750
Seattle WA