Dual points and vaccum switches..

I didn't get any answers on this either.. guess my jack situation was too entertaining.. ;-)

I have a (formerly) dual point Marelli dist, which had some kind of vaccum relay/switch that would
change from one point set to the other to give a timing change.. switch is missing, only a single point is installed.
Car is a 77 Spider, "California version" (so sayeth the owners manual)

I'd like to know:

A. How neccicary is this for proper operation and/or low smog emission?

B. Where can one find such a vaccum switch?

Thanks...

Jon