"Stinking Spider" (Hot Gear Oil Smell)...

Use Shell Spirax HD gear oil, 85W90!

Just look in the phone book for the nearest Shell Oil
distributor.  It's very common and inexpensive.  Also
THE stuff specified by Alfa Romeo!

I tried various Redline products in different Alfa Romeo
Spiders and ALWAYS developed small leaks.  Although the
products performed well, the leaks and expense were not
worth it.  The gearbox shifts well warm or cold and does
not leak with the Shell Spirax HD.

I just had the clutch replaced in a '85 Graduate and
found BOTH inner shift boots were torn.  The most inner
one is responsible for keeping the gear oil from leaking
out of the transmission around the shift rod.

I very unintentionally overfilled the gearbox one time
and had a few drops leak out of the vent onto the garage
floor for a few days.

The transmission takes 3.8 pints/1.85 liters

The differntial takes 3.0 pints/1.4 liters

Jeff