85 spider #4 fuse blown

Today I found my brake lights and my license plate lights do not
light. I checked the fuse box to find the #9 fuse (nominally for
the license plate lights is OK) but the #4 fuse (nominally for
the brake lights, door switches (not applicable), and some inside
lights (footwell are the only inside lights I have) was blown.
Any new fuse blows immediately, whether the ignition is on or
not.

I know in principle how to look for a short (following the Braden
book) but I've never actually done it. I have the appropriate
voltmeter.

But is there a typical source of short for this #4 fuse that I
should check first. And are there shortcuts to tracing these
wires through upholstery. Do the 'short finder' kits that replace
the fuse with a strobing device really work and what is the best
source for them? Would such a kit work in this particular case of
the #4 fuse.

Thanks for your insight,
Jim 85 spider graduate with non-working factory ac