To Balance or not to Balance, that is...

A Savage comments and asks in #1074:

"I just got my new piston and liner set and have found all pistons
within
one gram of each other.  The connecting rods were found to be identical
upon inspection also.  My dilema is whether to have the crankshaft
balanced or just leave well enough alone.  Does anyone have any
experience/horror stories with regards to this?  This is my first Alfa
engine buildup."

*********

A, if you're trying to do 'her' up right, I'd definitely have the crank,
flywheel, clutch, and rods balanced. I'd also drill out the aluminum oil
way plugs on the crank and have it cleaned first. Unless someone is
racing, I believe if the oil way plug holes are pristine (nothing comes
off a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner), the original type aluminum plugs
are just fine. Add Loctite stud mount and try to get them as even as
possible when inserting. Stake the edges, although with aluminum, not
sure it's important. I'd also have the rods indexed (making sure the
distance between the big and small ends of the rods are absolutely
identical). You might want to consider having the clutch plate checked
for 'flatness' and skimmed if it isn't. Yes, will add costs, but bet you
end up with a smoother engine than you can imagine - all things being
equal.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA