Re: SUVs

At 12:34 AM +0000 9/3/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Besides, I've seen people drive
like
shit in just about every type of vehicle.
No one will deny that (having said that, Greg Hermann will probably deny it)--I think the point is that when an idiot hits you in an Accord, both vehicle's crumple zones absorb the collision energy and everyone walks away. But when the same idiot hits you in an SUV, you absorb the collision energy and die in the process.

I'll defend your right to drive a Fiat 500 on the freeway because you're only putting yourself at risk--but driving a truck on public roads places everybody else at risk. That's why your freedom to drive drunk is restricted. (Since people like to assume otherwise, I'll add another sentence to this off-topic post and state explicitly that I have absolutely no problem with people who use trucks to haul gravel, tow Alfas, go offroading, etc, etc.)

No one likes to see their Alfa destroyed by someone else's shitty driving, but if it can do what it was designed to do and save your life by absorbing energy, you shouldn't complain because there will always be shitty drivers. It's when the idiot's vehicle contributes more energy to the collision than your Alfa can absorb, and absorbs none of it itself, and you die, that I'm apt to complain.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 (which is hopefully agile enough to get out of the way of errant SUVs so they hit hard stationary objects or other SUVs, and eliminate their drivers from the gene pool with their huge kinetic engergies and total lack of ability to absorb it in a collision)