Cam cover washers

The esteemed JH mentioned in a recent thread running on cam cover noises made when
tightening, that some of the washers are ali and some are fibre.  My two Alfa motors which
are used for racing came with a lot of bits missing, including the cam cover washers.  I
had some punched out of ali sheet (3mm thick) to replace the missing ones.  All of the
washers on the current 1.8L turbo motor except one is made from ali, some how I miscounted
when I had them made!

My Alfa guru mechanic once told me the reason they fitted some ali and some fibre was
because of bonding the cam cover to the ali cylinder head block to reduce ignition
interference to car radios.  If this is the case I don't know, as both my motors get
regularly pulled apart and reassembled so I don't know what the correct placing for these
washers should be. And I don't have any radios in my race car, so who cares!

Having exhausted the "who started the SUV craze" thread, how about a month long flame war
on cam cover washers?

John
Durban
South Africa - where we have the worlds scariest drivers in 4x4's
Alfetta 1.8L turbo - goes for an outing tomorrow to the hillclimb competition!