test track at BMW

   Yesterday I was at the BMW plant in Greenville SC for the "homecoming"
deal for the owners of Z3's. I got the opportunity to really, I mean REALLY
ring out two Z's. One was a 3 liter and the other was one of the M series.
They are very forgiving cars, with the M roadster putting out about 325
horses. They put us on 3 different test tracks. The first was a really nice
autocross set up with rises and dips, the second was a skid pad, and the
third was a slalom course. Part of the excitement of sports car driving is
the testing of your skill level. These cars are so loaded with electronic
wizardry that it is almost impossible to get into serious trouble. With the
traction control computer engaged, when you start to get a bit too radical,
it automatically brakes the proper wheel and cuts power at the proper time. I
felt as if I should just be riding while the computer did the work. Even on
the wet skid pad, with traction control on, you could not spin out. We
flipped it off anyway and had much more fun, even managed to break completely
loose a few times. The owner of the car I was with insisted on turning on the
air conditioner and putting up the top so we were isolated even more from the
environment.
     It was a fun day, witnessed some incredible technology........ but all I
could think of was I wish I had my spider out here to see how it was. I know
it couldn't keep up with a M series roadster, or even the small engine BMW,
but geez I have so much more fun in my real, nuts and bolts, road feeling
Alfa. I dunno, maybe I could have given a few of them a run! I know that the
Alfa would have been much more fun on the test tracks........  and I know
damn well it would have sounded better with those twin Webers sounding off
with that nice Alfa music.
       randy long