Throttle Position Switch in 164L

Hi there Alfa People,
I've been dinking around with my 1991 164L (autotrans) for nearly four weeks
trying to fix a stumbling I get when pulling away from a stop.
The stumbling gets worse as the car gets warmer. Doesn't happen at all when I
start out on my 10 minute commute to work. By the time the coolant temp reads
170 the stumbling is starting to appear and after that it just gets worse and
worse. Hotter=more stumbling and stuttering.
I've cleaned and checked tons of stuff already. This weekend I'm focusing on
the throttle position switch or "throttle switch" as it is called out in most
of my parts catalogs.
I cleaned the electrical connector for the switch and applied some contact
enhancing grease. Now I'm wondering about inside the switch. What happens
when you pull that little plastic cap off? I didn't want to go tearing into
this switch to find out it's one of those things with little springs that fly
out all over. Are there things inside the switch that benefit from having
dirt blown out and contacts cleaned?
I've been trying to solve this problem for several weeks now. I'd be getting
really frustrated if the engine wasn't getting so clean in the process. It
just looks great!
Thanks much,
Jim Oiler
1991 164L (gleaming bright)