Re: Range Rover engine ex Buick I believe

At 1:32 PM 8/30/02, C M Smith wrote:
>Designed and built in the late 50 s or early 60's and abandoned by Buick,
>sold to British Leyland I think. An all aluminum design with a good
>pedigree and tuneable, even though merely a simple  US style ohv V8. (The
>latest Corvette gets some impressive numbers from an iron version of this
>layout, not related to the aluminum Buick, but using that similar layout)
>
>This Aluminum powerplant was built in several states of tune and slung into
>things like Morgan (the Plus 8) the MGB GT, the Rover 3500 TC(now that was
>an impressive car), the later Rover sold over here which was not bad but
>not a patch on the ahead of its time predecessor, the Range Rover as noted,
>the TR8 (after the weak and leaky Stag V8 was ditched (two Dolomite 4 cast
>together essentially, a la Alfa Montreal), and no doubt others (I'd be
>surprised if TVR neglected this lightweight torquey powerplant)...

Don't forget that this same Buick V-8, as prepped by folks like TRACO
(Travers & Coon) went into a LOT of unlimited Can-Am cars in the mid '60's,
prior to when said cars shifted over to small and then large block Chevy
engines.

The SAME engine is also a direct ancestor of the Buick 3.8 V-6, including
the turbo-charged version of GN, GNX, and T-type fame. Plenty of fully
streetable, black  Buick "rolling living rooms" out there, still, powered
by this same V-6,  which will turn 12's and even down into the 11's in the
1/4 mile. More than enough to "trailer" about any turbo P*rsche, at least
in a straight line.

Greg