Re: Range Rover engine ex Buick I believe

Designed and built in the late 50 s or early 60's and abandoned by Buick, sold to British Leyland I think. An all aluminum design with a good pedigree and tuneable, even though merely a simple US style ohv V8. (The latest Corvette gets some impressive numbers from an iron version of this layout, not related to the aluminum Buick, but using that similar layout)

This Aluminum powerplant was built in several states of tune and slung into things like Morgan (the Plus 8) the MGB GT, the Rover 3500 TC(now that was an impressive car), the later Rover sold over here which was not bad but not a patch on the ahead of its time predecessor, the Range Rover as noted, the TR8 (after the weak and leaky Stag V8 was ditched (two Dolomite 4 cast together essentially, a la Alfa Montreal), and no doubt others (I'd be surprised if TVR neglected this lightweight torquey powerplant)...

I dunno if it is still manufactured as BMW put their complex and sweet V8 into the RR just before Ford bought the brand. Ironic really, the ohv engine is so easy to repair in the field, as would be useful for a genuine off road vehicle, and develops excellent torque low down, with good weight distribution due to light weight. Now there's a highly complex, highly strung dohc powerplant in this otherwise extremely competent off road vehicle.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L