leakdown of a different sort...

Digestisi:

I've got a question about the loss of oil from one of the open
cylinders of my 2L engine. The head's off and I've periodically wiped
the exposed bores with light oil and added approx. 15ml/1 TBSP to each
to prevent rings rusting to bores. In cyls 1,3&4 it takes about 6 weeks
for the oil to disappear (evaporating or seeping down) but in cyl 2
said oil is gone in 6 days. Might I find significant compression loss
due to ring or bore wear blow-by in this hole when I get things sealed
up? Or is this just one of those things....not running/not tested
before tear-down.

George Graves' comment in #1060 about NHTSA findings was echoed in an
NPR/All Things Considered story last evening (8/29). And by an
independent group, if I recall correctly. Seems the jist of the report
was if you really want to increase your chance of injury or death in a
crash, choose an SUV. The survey also noted that most SUV drives FELT
safer due to the vehicle size and the elevated seating position. HI HO!

Lastly, an Alfa in the movies note. Hopefully not redunant from past
posts I may have missed. My fiancee happily sat me down to a movie
surprise she had for me... The movie is "Taco Soup" and it is a pretty
good mild family drama/feel-good movie. With a well-aged Raquel Welch
and a late '70's dark blue Spider. There are static and traffic shots
of the Spider. The shots look good and the car fits the character, a
Brazilian college student, the budding boyfriend of one of the
daughters of the family. It's missing the upper front grill trim, like
mine. Ripping engine note sounds authentic too. Total screen time is
maybe a minute, but it' there. Diana was tickled to point out she
recognized the car like mine and thus picked the movie for us to watch!
Now, datza nice-a girl!

P.J. Wise
South Bend, Washington
'81 Spider Veloce-Verena Ragazza (gaining a complete '78 injection
system, mild custom cams, mild CC & port work, two-piece exhaust)
http://finance.yahoo.com