Re: The SUV debate

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 02:47 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:55:45 +0200
From: "John Fielding" <johnf@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: The SUV debate

Hi All,

Whilst pondering on the SUV debate whilst driving from Johannesburg back home to Durban -
a distance of approx. 600km - I suddenly remembered the real origin of the SUV. Many
years ago in the UK the Land-Rover company brought out the Range-Rover, this was a BIG
vehicle by UK standards, and was aimed at wealthy farmers and large property owners to
replace the old Land-Rover which was rather dated by then.
And never very reliable. Even when new. No wonder one of the characters in "The Gods Must be Crazy" called the Land-Rover that he was perennially working on "The Anti-Christ."

  It had permanent 4 wheel drive
and a 3.5L American origin Ali V8 motor (Oldsmobile I think?).
Buick Aluminum V-8. Rover bought the design from GM after they abandoned it (it was available in the "small Buick" called a "Skylark" for several years in the early sixties). The engine subsequently found its way into EVERYTHING in Britain. The Rover 3500 Saloon (nice car), various Land-Rover variants, even an MG or so, IIRC.

Well it caught on as a
"cult symbol" not by the intended customers but the trendy well heeled city drivers. The
patronage of certain members of the Royal family (Princess Anne and Prince Charles to name
a couple) who used them to attend Polo and other "horsy" events also attended by
"wanna-be's" of society, boosted the image and soon everyone who could afford one was
queuing up to buy one.

The most prolific area in trendy London where these could be seen parked outside exclusive
clothes shops, coffee shops and expensive restaurants was Sloane Square. Hence the term
was coined of "Sloane Rangers" to donate someone with more money than sense who wished to
be seen driving an expensive vehicle, completely unsuited for the road conditions existing
in inner London, as a statement "Look I have made it!" Very soon after you could buy
spray-on mud in an aerosol to coat the underside to make it looked like you had been
off-road. I wonder if the American origin is similar?
Not really. In our usual, cynical, ubber-Capitalist fashion, our SUV 'craze' was born out of the auto industry's desire for a high-profit cash-cow to replace the huge American sedan. It was the late Seventies, the the two gasoline shortages were fresh under our belt and the government, with their usual too-late-with-either-too much-or-too-little attitude rushed to give us exactly what we 'needed': more laws. They imposed stringent safety and fuel economy targets for the auto industry, thereby essentially killing-off the quintessential block-long American sedan. The scale of economics in car building is that it cost almost as much to build a small car as it does to build a big one. The operations in putting these cars together are the same, big or small and the extra steel and other materials required for the bigger car turn out to be peanuts compared to labor costs. Unfortunately, at the time, they couldn't sell the small car for as much as they could sell the big sedans (which is why Detroit was always so reluctant to build small cars) Then somebody at Chrysler, I believe, had an epiphany. These safety and gasoline milage laws only pertain to passenger CARS, not trucks. All Detroit had to do was take a truck chassis and put bodies on them that could haul people like a car, and these vehicles would be exempt from all the new laws. Hence, first the minivan, and then the SUV were born. All Detroit had to do was turn-up the advertising and convince Americans that they WANT these clunkers. This was something that the American car industry was good at and had done many times before (just what the hell is a 'personal luxury car' anyway). The payoff is that trucks are cheap to make and the falderal that 'upscales' them such as leather seats, thick carpets and stereo systems are very inexpensive to implement, but can run the price of the vehicle up to a nice, comfortable profit margin. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, and it is a fact that the Ford assembly plant that makes Explorers, Expeditions, and Lincoln Navigators has been rated the worlds most profitable production facility for 6 years running.