Re: Tennessee Switchbacks

Morgan, Steve wrote:
  I drove it 4 times, twice in daylight, twice at
night.  If you get a chance to be anywhere near TN 421 between BMS and
Mountain City, and you're in an Alfa, don't hesitate.  Go.
The real fun is US Rt 129, Deal's Gap, a.k.a. "The Dragon"

It's at the border of TN, NC and GA, near Fontana dam. 118 turns in 11 miles if I remember correctly, I think it may be the twistiest piece of road this side of the rockies. As fast as we could go (on motorcycles) it still took us nearly 15 minutes to traverse.

One of the roads you take to get there Rt 28 is pretty sweet too. I remember thinking how awesome it was... until we got to the gap. It's a ritual pilgramage for east coast motorcylists. There is a small MC only motel (the Crossroads of Time) at the start of the twisties.

Oh and to cool off... You can go swimming in the dam at the 129 bridge over fontana dam. The water is deep enough for diving off the bridge if you dare.

--Mark