Re: O2 sensor

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Bies" <bies@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 12:37 PM
Subject: O2 sensor

> In the 164, how does one determine if the O2 sensor is going south?  I'm
> seeing black inside the pipe, and some roughness on start.
>
> Which generic sensor to use?  I see two wires now.....
>
> r.m.bies
> --

Richard,

What year is your 164?  If it is a 91-93, here are a few suggestions.  I am
sure others will follow.

1.  Check your error codes generated by the Motornic ECU - If you get a
1224, that is a strong indication of an O2 sensor related problem (could be
a loose wire or bad ground and not the sensor itself).

2.  How is your gas mileage;  has it gone down as you notice this behavior?
3.  Has the check engine light come on?  If you get the 1224 code, you
probably will get the check engine light too.
4.  Look for other sources of your engine (apparently) rich.  Engine
management in the 164 is a complicated affair that uses inputs from many
sensors.  The old digest and this forum are good sources of help.

Don

PS.  There were many posts on O2 sensors earlier this summer.  I will
forward one to you.