Re: smog cops and SUVs (alfa content somewhere) - LONG

Dion,

my heart goes out to you.... but unfortunately... its ANTI
darwinism....usually the people who drive SUVs are people that know the
least about driving, people that think that they are most likely to get in
an accident (because of other drivers) and want to surround themselves in as
much steel as possible while being in their lazy boy recliner.

These people want all their amenities and usually are willing to spend as
much money as possible and define a fine vehicle as something that does not
break down, has every amenity possible and has a big engine because
obviously performance is only measured in power...

Look at the Explorer I think its a prime example of what kind of vehicle
sells well. I think we can all try.

Between bulging Minivans,SUVs, and semis (did I not  read somewhere that
more SUVs trucks and minivans are being now sold in the US than cars?) I
feel like driving the Alfa is an exercise in survival....

(Alfa content)

Thankfully, the Alfa I feel is a very suitable vehicle for survival....
excellent braking. steering and handling and from a site I had found on the
web, not bad crash resuts (sorry dont have that site anymore) and very good
rolling accelarating (at least the Verde though I feel all the other Alfas
do as well), which helps outrun mostly everything else bigger...but
definately outsteer it....

So I am not sure if it is not going to be a situation where a lot of bad
drivers survive and some realy good ones, with the really good cars, (mind
you owning a good car does not mean you are a good driver, but at least
should mean you place value on active and not passive safety, which should
at least givesome people points for intelligence).

Before I start a holly war here, I would like to say that >>I<< also drive a
small Nissan Frontier the XE with the 4 cylinde.r.. its my daily commuter,
by necessity, first because it is cheap to run and maintain (oil changes
mostly) and because Chicago roads, are terrible, since Summer season which
SHOULD be the ideal time for driving an alfa of any sort is usually
construction season, and I have been on 50 mph roads that have construction
ramps and a 45mph posted construction limit, made the pickups suspension
bottom out...

Thank you all, for allowing me my time in the preaching box,

Joseph
88 Milano Verde (undergoing minor surgeries)