"Best years" for Spider

The "best year" for a Spider is whatever model year is in one's garage.
While '74 may be the "best" for most performance-minded folks, the
Series 3 Spider is often unfairly maligned.  In 1982, the Spider
received a re-engineering that made the chassis considerably stiffer
than the pre-'82 cars.  Also the '82 Spider's Efi box and harness is NOT
the same as the '1983 so it can be harder to find.  That leaves the
Series 3 Spider with a number of advantages that are overlooked:

1.      Quantity -- there were more sold of the Series 3 than any other
series, maybe even more than  all the others put together, which makes
spares easier to find.  That also makes them affordable, The post '85
cars are much more comfortable to drive any distance since the seats are
better.

2.      EFI -  The Bosch system is nearly bullet-proof and many of the
sensors are common with other cars.
3.      "Go fast" parts can almost always be lifted from the earlier (or
later cars).  Replacing the exhaust manifold/downpipe/cat with a set up
from a 1991-on car will do wonders, and it's bolt-on, and smog legal.
Several folks who have driven my '83 have remarked how well it picks up
and all it's had done is a mild port match/polish, the exhaust swap and
a K&N in the airbox.

4.      A/C is NOT a bad thing if it allows you to drive the car more
often.  Right now my '83 is a garage queen because the A/C doesn't work
and the Milano's does.  It's close to 100 degrees F (37 degrees C)
outside.

5.      It's still an Alfa and I get a grin every time I drive it. 'Nuff
said.

Buy an Alfa based on condition -- I'd rather have a nice Series 3 than a
ragged out Series 1.  Believe me, they are all  more fun than a Camry!

Bill Bain
AROC Hot'lanta
'83 Spider
'87 Milano