Another 105 surprise

This afternoon I pulled the brake pads out of my the 71 Giulia Super I
bought recently and was surprised to discover that it has the old-style,
small front calipers, like a Duetto.  Surprised because every other
mechanical part on the car except the engine is of the 1750 type, rather
than the earlier 1600 type.  It has the four-bolt front end, big front
trailing arm bushings, dual line brakes, etc, etc, etc.  These spindles are
an anomaly.  It appears that the Giulia berlinas, like the GT Juniors,
continued with the early-type spindles with the narrow caliper bolt spacing
after the big-engined models were being built with updated spindles that
had  wider bolt spacing that took bigger calipers.    Obscure information?
You bet!  One of the great things about these cars is the way I keep
learning new things.

Dana Loomis
Durham NC USA