Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce

At 02:32 PM 8/23/2002, you wrote:

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:05:59 -0500
From: "Merrill, Ken" <KMerrill2@domain.elided>
Subject: buying advice ... help

At the risk of opeing a can of worms, I'm undecided about which year Spider
to start searching for in earnest. I bought a '63 Guilia about a hundred
years ago and loved it, and a '74 GTV was a much better car that I was a
driver through the late '70s and early '80s. I'm a glutton for punishment
and am now looking for another Spider. I love the looks of the Duetto, have
heard raves over the '74 Spider and recently saw a post claiming that the
'82 version was the best ever. I'm not a fan of that ugly spoiler at the
back of the mid-to-late '80s version, but I'm not an Alfa mechanic and I'm
not sure I want to become one, either. I understand the vagaries of buying
an older car, but is there some "inside" knowledge I can tap from fellow
digesters as to years to covet and years to avoid? Should I just pony up the
cash and get the early-'90s version? Should I hold out  for the "perfect"
'74? Any thoughts?
Regards,
Ken Merrill