Re: 164 "Brake" & "Pad Wear" lights flashing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antonio Riso" <Riso@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 12:38 PM
Subject: 164 "Brake" & "Pad Wear" lights flashing

> I have recently tried (unsuccessfully) to replace the O2 sensor in my 164.
In
> disconnecting
> and reconnecting the wires to the sensor, I reached through the opening in
the
> wheel arch above the
> steering box, thus moving a lot of cables and wires in that area.
> Shortly after I put everything together, the "Brake" & "Pad Wear" light
would
> go on and off together
> while driving the car.  It seems as if I disturbed some connection while
> working on the O2 sensor.
> I'll be replacing the front pads soon, but somehow I don't think that's
the
> problem.  Can anyone
> explain how the circuit works and how to diagnose the problem.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Antonio Riso
> 1991 164L auto
> --

Antonio,

Don't know if you got a response on this.  Essentially the light comes on
when the line from the wear indicator to ground is interrupted or open.

Here is the manual wording:

"The right and left front grake pads switches H9 and H10 connect to ground
pins 9B and 10B of the control unit N22 whenever the pads are slightly worn
and the brake pedal is acutated"

"Severe wear of the brake pads causes opening of the contacts of switches r9
and h10 which results in oopening of the circuit to pins 9b and 10B.  "

Don